Learn More About Pendleton Historic Foundation
The Pendleton Historic Foundation was founded in 1960’s to ensure the preservation of the historic house at Woodburn. While the funds were being raised to restore the Woodburn house, the Mead Paper Company donated Ashtabula and an additional 10 acres of land to the Foundation, similarly ensuring its preservation for future generations.
As a result of these efforts, the Pendleton Historic Foundation now owns and operates two of the largest Upcountry plantation homes as historical museums for the enjoyment and educational purposes of visitors of all ages.
Preservation & Exhibition:
Both houses were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Ashtabula and Woodburn have been operated as house museums since the mid-1970’s and are located on the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor.
Mission Statement: The Pendleton Historic Foundation is an IRS 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to the restoration and preservation of historic properties in Pendleton and the interpretation of the diverse history and cultural heritage of the area.
Restoration, preservation, and exhibition of Woodburn (c. 1830) and Ashtabula (c. 1825) historic houses
Educational programs in American and SC History for visitors of all ages: A major focus is providing insightful programs for school groups along with hands-on demonstrations. Each year, the Foundation sponsors a number of educational programs at each house including seasonal events and living history tours. The Foundation hosts dozens of home school, public, and private school tours throughout the year as well.
Historic preservation education and assistance to the community: This is a subsidiary made up of local homeowners of houses over 50 years. This organization provides preservation education and support through a historic house registry, guest speakers, programs and quarterly meetings.
Pendleton Historic Foundations Newest Project
Located at 244 Cherry Street on "Kirkley Hill" in the heart of the Town of Pendleton the historic Jenkins House was built by Civil War surgeon Dr. William Louis Jenkins in 1837. The house served as Dr. Jenkins family residence and his medical office until 1880. In 1880 Dr. William W. Watkins purchased the home and it served as his family residence and medical office until the 1930. The Hall family of Pendleton owned the House and operated a farm on the property until recently.
The Jenkins House is a pure example of Antebellum Architecture and includes the work of enslaved craftsmen. Many of the homes original features are still intact. Much of the finished woodwork and the mantles are attributed to famed craftsman and fine furniture maker William Knauff.
With your help Pendleton Historic Foundation hopes to fulfill our mission and restore The Jenkins House to be enjoyed by future generations. Plans include Traveling Exhibit Space, Gallery Space for Artist, Medical History Display, Event Space, Creek side Nature Trail, Community Vegetable Garden, Public Gathering Space and more!